Nothing says more about a person than what’s in their pockets.
Here’s what’s in mine:
- Helvetica pencil case Why? Because Helvetica.
- Writing utensils No designer should be without a few good pens and pencils.
- Tombow brushpen Wether I’m at the beach or getting coffee, I’m always looking to practice brush lettering.
- Field Notes Aaron Draplin rocks, and so do these notebooks. I always choose to advocate design when buying things.
- Verve Insulated Klean Kanteen I LOVE good coffee. ‘Nuff said.
- Nite Ize Doohickey and carabiner As an Eagle Scout, I’m always looking to be prepared for anything.
- Gerber EAB lite I’ve always had an affinity for industrial design, and hey, you never know when you need to emergency flush-mount something.
- Lead Holder all great designs start with a sketch, so I always keep a pencil handy.
- CRKT P.E.C.K. in the Dark Perfect size for opening girl scout cookies when I’m starving at my desk.
- Tous les Jours Pen Found at PRESS in SF, this pen gives activity suggestions for each day of the week, in French. Fun fact, I took 3 years of French in high school.
- USB For those rare times when AirDrop can’t be used (sarcasm). Punisher sticker added so no one steals it.
- iPhone 6 My whole family has been Apple fans since day one. I must say their products have come a long way from playing Spectre on our Mac SE…
I make stuff.
When I graduated college in 2013, I got voted most likely to be Iron Man… probably because I like to make things, a lot.
- Star Wars LEGOs I love LEGOs in general. They are a great way to keep creativity high.
- Arrowmaking?! Yes, I did make that arrow, and yes I do enjoy archery.
- Arc Reactor Made from plastic cup rims, chip holders, a sink strainer, and some scrap wire. As you might’ve guessed, I enjoy superhero movies.
- Iron Man Faceplate Because why stop at the arc reactor?
- Heat Sensitive Rorschach Mask I admit that I bought this one, but I won a costume contest, so it was well worth it.
- Mandalorian Armor Built from the leftover sheet metal from making my portfolio case. Sometimes its not how much you say, but how cool you look while saying it.
- Rorschach Grapple Gun There’s nothing you can’t fix from the thrift store with enough spray paint.
- Surfboard Fins (In Progress) While I was at Cal Poly, SLO I took a surfboard making class, which kicked off a relaxing hobby.
- California Skateboard Woodworking, art and longboarding are fun, so why not combine all three? Note to self: never cut grip tape by hand again.
FOR THE FUTURA.
Just a few of the things that inspire me.
- HTML&CSS I’ve found it extremely important to stay up-to-date and understand how the web works so that I know how to design for it.
- Friends of Type Postcards I am extremely inspired by the work of fellow Cal Poly Alum. Erik Marinovich. *REPRESENT*
- Type Collection I have a great appreciation of typography and letterform creation. You can frequently find me searching antique stores for steals on vintage typography and letterpress type.
- House Industries Postcards Besides scouring sites like niice, fffound, and httpster for design inspiration daily, I like to surround myself with physical inspiration, at least half of which is typography. It’s a little nerdy.
- Little Book of Lettering An inspirational book of lettering, categorized and at a size that can be easily carried around.
- Graphic Design the New Basics An essential book for any designer. It's always good to brush up on the basics every now and then.
- Vintage Travel Postcards These sit on my shelves alongside cameras, comic books, Star Wars toys, and design books. Catalina island is especially relevant to me because I spent five [glorious] years working at a summer camp there.
- Car Insignia There’s something about the heritage and design of car insignias that fascinate me. My (realistic) dream car is an FR-S. My unrealistic dream car would probably be a Tesla Roadster.
Let's get coffee, or whatever.
Thanks for visiting my website! Feel free to contact me at email@example.com about anything you might need.
And if you want to stay connected, you can find me on:
Bēhance: Jonathan Tipton-King